Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Book a Day Challenge...Day 7

Okay...so I'm falling behind!! I'll try to double up sometime in the next few days.

I don't have a picture book, or fun chapter book today, but a PD book...and I'm so excited about it!!  As I was teaching my 3rd graders last year I realized many of them did not possess real number sense.  A presenter at a work shop suggest this book to me: Number Talks Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation Strategies (by Sherry Parrish). My first thought was...just what I need a book on mental math. As I have begun reading the book I realize that this method is not so much about being able to do math quickly in your head...but understanding numbers so that you can take them apart and put them back together...it's about teaching children more than a set of rules with which to solve a problem...but teaching them to explore and understand a variety of solutions. A great deal of importance is placed on the understanding of place value and truly understanding how to break a number down.  A "Number Talk" usually lasts for 5-15 minutes so adding them to a daily routine is totally doable. I am just on chapter 3...and so excited about the things I've learned so far!!!

Number Talks: Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation Strategies, Updated with Common Core Connections, Grades K-5

Happy Reading,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment